14 January 2009

Cuddly little prickles


I just realised that I do have something to post about that I made - hedgehogs!

These little guys were custom orders for Christmas.

I was approached by one of my customers, asking if I could make hoggies that look like Santa.

Now I wasn't going to pass up a challenge like that, so I made a sample one and sent him pictures of it.

He ordered 4! I'll be selling the same design next year in my shop, along with a tiny version. They'd make great tree decorations.

The red and gold hog and the black and blue hog were actually a little surprise. My friend Sayre if I had time to make a couple of hogs for her son (she'd bought a couple from me as presents, and he decided he wanted some of his own). So I knitted these two guys and sent them off without telling her - she put them in her son's Christmas stocking and he was so pleased with them when he opened it! Seeing the picture of him with them made me smile, I just love making people happy.

Here's one of the Santa hogs, obviously settling into his new home in Italy. I hope he remembered to bring a gift for the baby Jesus!

3 comments:

  1. Those Santa Hedgies are so awesome! We have a soft spot around here for hedgehogs. My husband has a few of them from when he was a kid. Hedgehogs have the sweetest little personalities and your little guys are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cindy! I'm rather fond of hedgehogs myself. Hedgehogs aren't common as pets over here, we have wild European hedgehogs which are the ones I do rehabilitation work with.

    I'd like a pet one I think, it must be great to be able to handle them as much as you want and play with them and such. I handle my patients as little as possible so they don't get tame, because they need to be as wild as possible when I release them.

    They are very cute little creatures, and they definitely have personalities. They can be rather stroppy at times!

    Wonder if I could do polymer clay hedgehogs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those hedgehogs are really cute. I also have a soft spot for them and we now have our own real live ones living in our woodpile which I rescued from a cattle grid.

    ReplyDelete