29 May 2009

Finishing, or lack of it

First of all I have to apologise - I promised myself when I started this blog that I'd update regularly, and I haven't.

I haven't been well recently, but as often happens I didn't actually realise it at the time! I've been trying to find a balance between working, resting, gardening and creative stuff and not managing very well - there just doesn't seem to be enough time for everything, even though I'm actually not getting much done.

I have done some polymer clay pieces I'm quite pleased with, but they are in various stages of completion at the moment. I have so much sanding to do! I admit I get a bit impatient with beads especially, it takes ages to go through 4 different grits. I wish I could afford a kids rock tumbler, but I can't even find a cheap one in the UK - only expensive ones.

I'm trying really hard to actually get some pieces finished because I'm working towards selling at craft shows later in the year and I need to build up some stock. Maybe I should ban myself from starting anything new to encourage me to just work on the in-progress things!

Hopefully I'll have something to show soon.

In the meantime, here's a picture of one of my very first pieces. It's a faux fossilised seahorse made using the mokume gane technique in stone-effect Fimo.

I still really like it, although I'm considering resanding it a little and buffing with my new Dremel-style rotary tool since it's finished with Fimo gloss. Well it was a while ago, I didn't know any better!

2 comments:

  1. I love your first piece Silverleaf, it is very rustic and cool!

    I know a little about the difficulty balancing everything. I'm having a hard time of it myself.

    I'd recommend working on your finished pieces before tackling this one. But if you do want to remove the old finish, you may find rubbing alcohol or acetone will be a great help. Then you can sand without it taking so long.

    Can't wait to see some of your new polymer pieces. Bet they are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cindy, I'm honoured that you like it. :)

    And thanks for the tip, I'll remember that for when I finally get round to dealing with the seahorse.

    Quite a few of my new pieces are inspired by your lessons so if they are good you can take some of the credit. ;)

    ReplyDelete